1. Have virtual lunch or dinner with a friend: Even though you are stuck inside and can’t be social with friends in real life you can still have a meal together over FaceTime or Skype. Grab yourself some food maybe even a glass of wine and call your bestie and have fun with them.
2. Design your environment: If you normally go to a coffee shop to get work done; you can make your own coffee shop! You can make yourself a fancy drink, put on your favorite coffee shop Spotify playlist to study and relax too, maybe go to a room you don’t normally work in at home to change up your environment. You have your very own coffee shop right at home!
3. Staying active: I know theres a lot of jokes about recommending staying away from the gym and people saying "how will I survive?" Staying active will do wonders for your mental health. You don’t need equipment either you just need your body, maybe some comfortable shoes if the weather is nice enough to go outdoors; you could go on a walk or a run. Its a good way to see other people! I go on late afternoon walks with my dogs and I see my neighbors out and about in their yards or walking their dogs as well. Just remember to stay 6 feet from each other. You can just smile and say hi. Yay for social interaction! You also can take an online workout class for free on Youtube! That’s a great way to get your routine in!!
4. Watching movies: Honestly watching movies to me is so relaxing. People are always saying that TV is a waste of time. I don’t think that movies or TV is a waste of time especially when you have your favorite snack (popcorn with M&M’s is my personal favorite.) I think movies can be entertaining, powerful, emotional, educational and so much more! I think movies can transport you to a different place and if its an old film it can take you back in time. My favorite movies at the moment are A Cinderella Story, The Kissing Booth and Burlesque.
5. Writing letters: another kind of communication we over look when we are busy is writing letters. I know you probably haven’t written a pen-pal letter since… middle school, but someone once described writing pen-pals is the most social thing you can do by yourself and that's exactly the kind of thing we need right now. It’s also a fun way to get creative and spend a few hours, so grab all your stationary, pens, stickers, stamps and whatever else you want to decorate your letters!
6. Read books: Is it just me or do you have a bookshelf or bedside table that is just collecting books that you thought you were going to read? Now is your time to read those books you bought or borrowed from your friends months ago! Reading has always been one of my most favorite escapes. Books can take you on the most wildest adventures. I love creating the characters in my head and imagining how they would look like. I really enjoy reading poetry. I have a ton of poetry books I could just read over and over again.
7. Call someone: Sometimes it’s nice just to talk to someone by picking up the phone and calling them the old fashioned way with no tv, no games and nothing distracting you. Just good old conversation. You can also put in headphones and go for a walk, clean your room and do the dishes while you talk to someone. Anything to feel a little less alone.
8. Journaling: When we get busy Journaling is one of those habits that gets pushed to the side cause it takes time during our precious morning and evening routines. Now with extra time on your hands I recommend getting a notebook and really getting creative with free writing or by following journaling prompts. Not only do I think this helps with self discovery, but I think its interesting to document your experiences during this time because we are experiences history right now.
9. Learn something: Now is the time to actually sit down in front of the computer and learn something you have always been curious about. For me that would be digging deeper into my astrological sign; Leo. I have always been so curious to what a Leo stands for and what it means to be a Leo. I always thought a Leo was nothing more then courageous, fearful and loyal. Oh no no, I was totally wrong. There is so much more to being a Leo! I highly recommend you learning about your sign and tell me what you learn!
10. New Music: Take this time to yourself to discover new music. Have your friends recommend to you new artists, scroll through Spotify playlists and make your playlists not so pathetic and short like mine! I have discovered a few new bands I have never heard of and instantly fell in love. There are still so many new artists and songs to discover!
Thank you so much for checking out this post! I hope you stay safe and take this time to get creative, discover new music, write that letter you have been meaning to write and so much more that I didn’t think of.